We help arts and cultural nonprofits plan for long-term sustainability by providing access to the underwriting skills of our real estate practitioners. For organizations considering purchasing, leasing, or co-locating, we help quantify critical-path questions and assist in decision-making.
The entire process is designed to clarify funding goals, establish recommended steps for raising the necessary funds, and provide a better understanding of capital needs and opportunity costs as well as current and future operating expenses.
The breadth and depth of the assessment depends on the specific needs, goals, and capacity of each organization. So before we get to work, we listen.
We work together to design a program that draws from each of the following:
- Review wish-list of programs and related spaces
- Facilitate a space prioritization exercise
Site Evaluation and Selection
- Evaluate potential properties and/or construction plan options
- Facilitate identification of top priority property or option
Capital Facilities Analytics
Capital Needs Assessment
- Review critical construction or building improvements of a priority site
- Create a Capital Pro Forma demonstrating the potential future cost to pay for construction or rehabilitation
Sustainable Operations Analysis
- Analyze existing annual financial operating reports and current space usage
- Create an Operating Pro Forma for the organization
- Create a 15-year forecast of real estate operating costs
- Analyze the current capacity to fund, operate, and fundraise for a potential project. If the needs/funds do not balance, review other adjustments that can be made to move a project forward.
- Discuss fundraising strategies and lay out a roadmap for decision-making.
Sharing the Vision
- Draft a vision statement for client use in fundraising efforts
- Prepare a presentation of findings to key stakeholders