Apply Now
Opened
1995

Traffic Zone Center for Visual Art

Helping Artists Preserve the Warehouse District

250 Third Avenue North, Minneapolis, MN, 55401

Harriet Bart's Studio

Gallery Event

Harriet Bart's Studio

Traffic Zone Artist

Exterior

Entrance

Commercial Space

Bev's Wine Bar

Traffic Zone Artists

Tabs

Overview

With its distinctive limestone exterior, the six-story Traffic Zone is one of the most beautiful buildings in Minneapolis’ historic Warehouse District. Built in 1886 as a farm implement warehouse, it was converted into a bakery two years later. From 1951 to 1992, the building was an appliance parts warehouse. It is on the National Register of Historic Places.

The Traffic Zone was created to meet the needs of a group of mid-career artists who approached Artspace in the early 1990s because they were being forced out of their studios in another building in the area. Pooling their resources, the artists formed a for-profit corporation that now owns and operates the property in partnership with Artspace.

The Traffic Zone contains 23 large studios on its first, second and third floors. All studios feature hardwood floors, high ceilings, exposed brick and beams, and large windows; many also afford views of the downtown skyline. The artists share their building with several commercial tenants — including an architecture firm, Graywolf Press and Artspace itself. The artists also curate the Traffic Zone Gallery on the ground floor and host annual spring and fall open studio events, each of which typically draws more than 1,200 visitors to the building. 

Development Cost

$4.3 million

Architect

LHB Engineers & Architects

Development Partner

Traffic Zone Center for Visual Art

Learn More
SHARE THIS PAGE
Our Thanks to...

Financing

Greater Metropolitan Minneapolis Housing Corporation
Minneapolis Community Development Agency
Minnesota Nonprofit Assistance Fund
TCF Bank

Funders

Dayton Hudson Foundation
General Mills Foundation
The McKnight Foundation
Minneapolis Heritage Preservation Commission
Piper Jaffray Foundation
Winthrop & Weinstine