The Arts Market Study follows the Preliminary Feasibility Study and is the second step towards an Artspace development.
The Arts Market Study paints a clear picture of the demand for arts spaces in an area. It is a crucial step in the predevelopment process and instrumental in determining the size and nature of a market. Through an online survey, data is collected about local artists’ current space arrangement, interest in new space, income range, the amount they are willing to pay for space, and other demographic information. Individual artists are usually asked about their interest in live/work housing, private studio workspace, shared creative space, and shared performing arts space. The goals of the study are to:
- Quantify the overall demand for arts and creative spaces.
- Identify the types of spaces, amenities, and features that artists want/need.
- Inform site selection, design, and programmatic decisions.
- Maintain community involvement throughout the project.
- Help build support and secure funding.
Each online survey is customized to reflect the unique characteristics of the project and the local arts scene. Developing the questionnaire, publicizing it, collecting data, and analyzing the results take about four to six months. The study can also include focus groups tailored around the specific space needs of organizations in a given community or industry.
What is included:
- Customized survey tool based on a proprietary template.
- Outreach strategy, including examples, templates, and feedback.
- One visit to the community, to present at a survey launch event and have any additional focus groups or meetings as needed.
- Online survey set-up, testing, and hosting.
- Weekly updates on incoming responses with suggestions for continued outreach.
- Report of Findings analyzing the data and includes recommendations about the number, types, and rental rates of units.
- Technical report providing detailed statistical information on market demand.